About Me

My photo
Mike hopes to see the world turned upside down through local communities banding together for social change, especially churches which have recognized the radical calling to be good news to the poor, to set free the prisoners and oppressed, and to become the social embodiment of the reign of God on earth as it is in heaven.

Popular Posts

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Response from State Representative after servant church action

I should follow up on the previous entry about servant church.  I wrote a letter to my state representative, Ralph Sheffield from Bell County, asking for specific action to prevent massive cuts to the education budget in Texas.  One of those actions was to support the use of a "rainy day fund" to plug the gaps in education funding.  If this recession isn't a rainy day, I don't know what would be.

I got a call yesterday from one of Rep. Sheffield's staff.  This is pretty unusual, I think.  I've not gotten very many such calls in my lifetime.  He told me that Rep. Sheffield was one of four legislators who had signed on to a bill to use the rainy day fund for education a couple of weeks ago.  As he explained, this was even before the Governor had come out in favor of using money from the rainy day fund.  Apparently, they were paying attention to our letters.

I went on to talk with him about HB 410 and closing the loophole in the law that has allowed payday lenders and car-title lenders to twist the law and charge "fees" that amount to 500% and more for short-term loans.  I'll follow up later to see how he stands on that legislation.

No comments:

Baptist Bloggers
Powered By Ringsurf
Christian Peace Bloggers
Powered By Ringsurf